Friday, February 8, 2013

Chapter 10 Reflection



            The focus of chapter 10 is cyber bullying.  As expected this topic is lengthy and offers many, many great tips.  No foolproof solution is available but there exist many techniques to reduce the effect and likelihood.  The chapter starts in the logical first step, assessing if there is a bullying problem.  From there the author looks at the basics in a school setting.  The comparison to safety training for shop class was most intriguing, and an excellent idea.  I also found the explicit reminder of not searching contents of confiscated items really useful.  Seeing it in plain text like that provides a great reminder of something to important that can be overlooked in the moment. 
The author goes on to describe some filtering technologies that are/can be used with internet surfing to keep content appropriate.  Then cautions about bypasses for those technologies like proxies and handheld devices.  That ties into the section with parent involvement and the suggestion to be direct with children and notify them of monitoring devices as that can provide a deterrent.  The chapter explores techniques for developing secure passwords and advising children to never give out personal information.  The author also provides lists of warning signs of bullying.
Thus far I have not encountered much in the lines of bullying in general, let alone cyber brand bullying.  I do expect it to be a big concern, however, when I have an actual class to teach.  The warning signs and advice on safety practices and technologies for filtering will certainly help, I suspect.  I hear about cyber bullying intermittently and understand that as we become a more online based society that it will grow in occurrence and severity unless we actively work against it.

4 comments:

  1. It's good that you haven't been presented with bullying to this point online, guess that means you have good friends, lol.
    I would assume in the field you are currently working in, there is less range for cyber bullying since it is centered more around research and findings, may e I am wrong however. Maybe if it is true, finding some way to make active online communities where liked interest are shared will help reduce the threat of bullying since all in the group have similar goals. I do believe that there will always be bullies since it is in people's nature, it could possibly lesson the effects however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not encountered it much, but I also do not do much interaction online in ways that can allow bullying. I log into facebook twice a year at this point unless I need something. There may be bullying in the science community, but it is less direct and would usually feature grudges and more surreptitious bullying. I hope I do not need to find out about that.

      Delete
  2. I thought it was interesting as well that cyberbuullying was the primary threat facing youth. I have no doubt that cyberbullying is terrible, but I feel that to notes on how to protect yourself, your identity and your computer are much more helpful to those just begining to understand the internet.

    I would probably rename this chapter to internet safety and include cyber bullying as a significant threat, but one of many.

    How do you feel about exposing students to the internet as a means of educating them? How early do you think is too early and how much independence is too much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not certain there is a "too early" point myself. Mostly if decent filtering and training can be done to keep the child away from danger. As to the more specific social media portions of the net that allow cyber bullying more directly, I would say children should limited to that until late middle school high school. Honestly, their spheres are too small before high school where they share class or free time with anyone they really want to talk to. Who needs social media to keep up with people you see every day? When the high school classes separate friends for longer periods is the earliest they would actually "need" social media in that form. At that point it is best to educate them as much as possible.

      Delete